In the Garden Autumn 2016: April



The space I am using for my garden is rather unloved and tired at this point in time. Before I bought the house it had been a rental so the garden and lawns had been tidy but as low maintenance as possible. It feels like a poor starting point, but at least there isn't much to clear away. It would probably be more difficult if I had to dismantle someone else's creation before I could start.

I get a blank slate to start with and now it's a case of really making it my own. I've seen so many pictures that inspire me with ideas, but with a small space I'm going to have to be picky and stick to a few elements.

No for my plan for the garden. Right now this is along the lines of what my garden looks like.

Given some of the yard is dedicated to parking and domestic chores (such as drying clothes) It really leaves the bottom corner for creating a garden masterpiece. To keep the weeds down over winter we have mulches the brown garden bed and we have a few things planted. I'm most excited about my lavender, and lemon tree.

There is a tree that was already dead when we moved in, I believe the trees take quite a lot of food from the soil as there in not much grass near them. To combat this I plan to dedicate the back corner to a chicken coop. They will have shade in the summer from the trees and it will be a good spot for throwing hey and weeds for the chickens to enjoy without having to worry about them growing.

Closer to the house there is a lot of mulch that seems to be trying to just keep the weeds at bay. I plan to clear this away and tidy it up to make room for great big tubs where I will plant everything. No only will these be easier to plant in, they will ensure any food I give to my plants wont be taken by the greedy trees.

Here is a bit of an outline of the additions I want to make.

As I keep notes on how the sun travels over the yard and moon phases I'll get a better idea of what should be planted where.

I have allowed quite a bit of space for the chickens knowing how they like to scratch around. I believe there should be room in that pen for my compost too which will make moving the chicken poo easier. And the chickens will be able to enjoy the bugs that are attracted by the compost.

This month I plan to research the most essential plants every witch needs in her garden so that I can be sure to have room for them. I knew above everything that I wanted lavender in my garden, but there are many others that I need to consider. Autumn is ideal for this.

Day 10 of 366







Comments

Popular Posts